Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Aqui estoy … al principio

A blog seems to be the thing to do while abroad. Not that I make a habit of doing things because they are the thing to do, but I’m going to try it anyway. I will hopefully be more consistent than if I were to mass e-mail, but possibly a bit more facetious. J I do offer fair warning though, my prior record of journal-keeping is spotty at best.


For those of you who don’t know all the details, I will be studying abroad in Lima, Peru this spring. I leave February 24 and return July 11. I will be living with a host family and taking classes at a university in Lima: Pontificia Universidad Católica del Peru, aka PUCP or la Católica. I’m looking forward to meeting new people, trying new food and using and improving my Spanish.


I chose the name Aqui Estoy for several reasons. It means “here I am” and it’s to be a reminder for me (and you, wherever you are) to be in the moment and take in and appreciate what is going on right now. I’m a planner and a scheduler and an analyzer and it can be too easy for me to lose what’s going on now because I’m thinking about what comes next. I want to make the most of my experience and opportunities in Peru and not lose that in worrying about what I should be doing next or what grammatical errors I’m making or what picture I should be taking. Aqui Estoy is also the Spanish name for one of my favorite Hillsong songs, known as The Stand in English.


Hasta la próxima

No comments:

Post a Comment