Monday, June 13, 2011

Aqui estoy ... en Qosqo!

This past weekend I went to Cuzco, the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu! Finally. After living here more than three months, I finally got to see the number one attraction. I loved the whole thing, Cuzco is a beautiful city and it was wonderful to see the sun again after cloudy Lima full of noise and micros. It was exciting to see in person the places I’ve been learning about in class all semester. It is always awesome to hang out with my programmates, especially because we know each other well enough now to feel comfortable joking around a lot more. Overall I just felt content and happy to be there the whole time.


I’ll share pictures is chunks so they’re not overwhelming because I took a lot. I had to stop myself from taking more of the same from a slightly different angle :) We flew into Cuzco on Thursday and had the day to adjust to the altitude and walk around the city.


I walked to the Plaza Central







And to a couple markets




There are lots of remnants of Inca architecture even though the Spaniards changed the city drastically when they took over.







It’s the 100 year anniversary of Machu Picchu being announced to the world. (It’s a somewhat controversial celebration in Peru since it wasn’t technically “discovered”. Some people prefer to celebrate 100 years of the author Arguedas instead) In any case, that means there lots of celebrating. Plus it’s Inti Raymi in June in Cuzco. So for one or both of those or maybe a different reason (I was never quite clear) there was a parade in the plaza of various dance groups from several provinces.








Tomorrow: our tour del valle sagrado

Hasta la proxima

No comments:

Post a Comment